Doctoral mobility

You are a PhD student and wish to leave on an international mobility in order to strengthen your scientific skills and develop a social network to begin your career ?

The international experience is now a major asset for a PhD. The University of Lille encourages PhD students to leave on a mobility as part of a joint supervision thesis.


The PhD student carries out his research under the joint supervision of a French research director and a research director in a foreign institution, both of them are specialist of the field of study. In the thesis and the defense, a double linguistic skill must emerge. The joint supervision thesis should coincide with the priority framework of the laboratory and/or with the certified research programmes.

Presentation of the scheme


1. First, get the consent of two research directors (one French, one abroad) for your thesis subject which must have previously been written in at least three pages, with a bibliography, the justified opinion of the home laboratory director  and request the prior consent of the doctoral school (by transmitting the written agreement of the laboratory’s director). Contacts with the partner institution can be made after the first enrolment (since procedure can take up to 6 months) but the agreement will take effect after the official admission of the candidate at the doctoral school in the first year of PhD (on November of registration year).

For foreign students exceptionally arriving during their PhD studies, the first enrolment in PhD will be taken into account when drafting the agreement.

2. Ask your thesis director to contact the academic and scientific mobility department of the International Mobility Department to set up the joint supervision agreement with the thesis director of the partner institution.

Contact us to the following address : cotutellesuniv-lillefr

Occasional support from the University of Lille

International doctorates, joint doctoral thesis, collaboration with a partner abroad are the ways for doctoral student to know the scientific environment of another country. A financial support will be necessary to realize your mobility project. The International Mobility Office, Doctoral schools, laboratories can help you in your funding search for medium or long stays.

Other occasional support

Look for fundings on Campus Bourse